Summer berry picking season is in full swing! I'm seeing photos on Facebook and Instagram of everyone's sweet kids at local blueberry and strawberry farms chomping their way through buckets of freshly picked berries. Precious.
Picked vs. Purchased Berries
If yours is one of those families who's picking your own berries - or maybe even growing your own - this recipe's for you. Your fresh berries will taste amazing in this Easy Blueberry Chia Jam!
Every spring I tell myself this will be the year we finally load up and make the drive to a nearby you-pick-it farm to load up on summer berries. Unfortunately, we still haven't made it...yet.
So, if your family is like mine and you buy berries from the local farmer's market or grocery store, this recipe's also for you - Any berries, fresh or frozen, will work!
Making Jam is Easy!
Before making my first batch of Berry Cherry Chia Jam, I assumed that making homemade jams and jellies was a complicated process.
You don't need any special equipment - just a saucepan, some measuring cups and a spoon.
- 3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (or other berries), washed and stems removed
- 3/4 cup raw honey
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup chia seeds
- Bring berries and honey just to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Reduce to a simmer and continue to heat for about 15 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and continue heating for a few more minutes before turning heat off.
- Use a potato masher to break blueberries into smaller pieces if desired.
- Stir in chia seeds and allow mixture to cool on stove before transferring to glass jars.
- This simple recipe can be used for any type of berries, whether fresh or frozen. It also makes an adorable gift in small mason jars with a strand of cute ribbon tied around it!
If you liked this recipe, you might also like the original Berry Cherry Chia Jam recipe that inspired it!