These Tex Mex breakfast tacos are beyond delicious, and make the perfect weeknight dinner or hearty weekend breakfast!
Breakfast Tacos for Breakfast or Dinner
Ever since I discovered that my husband actually likes breakfast for dinner (I’ve always been a fan but thought he wasn’t), I’ve been happily rotating it into my weekly menus. First it was apple ring pancakes, then homemade biscuits and scrambled eggs, and now this – fully loaded breakfast tacos! Of course, they’d be great for a weekend breakfast or brunch, too.
Whether you’re serving them for breakfast, brunch, or dinner, they’re incredible!
The beans, cilantro, and salsa add plenty of Tex Mex flare, and the trifecta of breakfast taco ingredients – sausage, eggs, and potatoes – makes them super satisfying.
Plus, a pile of veggies on every plate means this recipe counts as a one dish meal! It’s an all around winner!
Note: This post contains affiliate links. By making purchases through these links, you pay the same amount for products, but a portion of the sale will be sent my way to help with blog expenses. Thanks!
Hearty and Healthy Breakfast Tacos
Because some of you may still be wondering…Yes, sausage and eggs are healthy,
even especially when cooked in pastured lard or ghee!
If you’re a regular reader, you already know I’m a big fan of pastured meats and animal fats raised in ways that reflect God’s original design. The nutrients they provide can’t be found in plant foods, though the plants He made also play important roles of their own!
When it comes to eating animals vs. plants, it’s not either-or, it’s both-and.
And this recipe is a perfect example of that – protein, healthy fat, and vitamins from the pastured eggs, sausage, and lard, plus fiber and phytonutrients from the fresh vegetables, beans, avocado, and herbs!
Breakfast Tacos with Sausage, Potatoes, and Peppers
- 6 Corn tortillas pictured or my homemade whole wheat and chia tortillas (get the recipe here)
- 1/2 pound pastured breakfast sausage
- a few spoonfuls pastured lard bacon grease or ghee (buy organic, pastured lard here!)
- 1 bag 16 oz shredded or cubed potatoes (I used Alexa's frozen organic hashed browns, straight from the freezer)
- 1/2 each: red, green, orange bell pepper, chopped (buy these pre-chopped to save extra time!)
- 6 pastured eggs
- few handfuls baby spinach roughly chopped
- 1/4 of a medium red onion chopped
- 1/2 cup cooked or canned and drained black beans
- 1 medium avocado peeled and sliced
- Fresh cilantro
- Grape tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cotija cheese crumbled
- Brown the breakfast sausage in a saute pan and set aside.
- While sausage is browning, heat the lard in a second large saute pan over medium high heat until it just begins to bubble. Add the potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally for even browning. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. When the potatoes have begun to brown, add the chopped bell peppers. Continue to stir until all are nicely browned.
- Spoon the cooked sausage into the potato and pepper mixture and stir to combine. Turn the heat off and leave pan on the burner.
- Once the sausage has been spooned out of the pan, heat the remaining sausage grease over medium high heat (add ghee if there isn't enough), then add the eggs to the hot pan and cook to your liking, sprinkling with salt and pepper to taste.
- While eggs are cooking, lay tortillas on plates. Pile the desired amounts of the following on top: spinach, red onions, black beans, and cilantro.
- Spoon potato-pepper-sausage mix onto each. Then lay one cooked egg and a few slices of avocado on top, and sprinkle with Cotija cheese and additional cilantro. Serve with salsa.
Check out these other healthy breakfast recipes!