This beats any French Onion Dip I’ve ever tasted, thanks to the caramelized onions, shallots, and garlic. It takes a little time to make, but is very easy and will be a instant hit at your next dinner party or picnic!
We all know homemade chip and vegetable dips taste better than ready made dips or packets of French Onion Soup mix you buy from the store.
Still, the first time I made this Caramelized Onion and Shallot Dip, I was shocked by just how much better it was. There is just no substitute for the rich flavor of caramelized onions and shallots. Adding fresh garlic and a splash of white wine doesn’t hurt things either!
And that’s to say nothing of the nutritional benefits of a from-scratch dip with no corn, soy, gluten, or MSG you often see in store bought dips.
I intended this to be a fun appetizer before dinner….along with the fresh veggies and chips I bought for dipping, it turned out to be our dinner. And we ate the leftovers for lunch the next day. The entire recipe was gone in less than 24 hours.
It’s that good.
If you’re looking for a show stopping appetizer for your next dinner party or Memorial Day picnic, this is it!
It can be made on the spot, but I think it tastes even better the next day. If you have the time, make it in advance, refrigerate, then pull it out at least 20 minutes before you plan to serve it…then sit back and watch it disappear!
Note: This post contains affiliate links. By making purchases through these links, you pay the same amount for products, but a portion of the sale will be sent my way to help with blog expenses. Thanks!
Caramelized Onion and Shallot Dip
- 1/4 cup pastured ghee, Ghee will allow the onions to cook at a higher temperature, but butter will also work - just be careful not to burn it. Buy pastured ghee here
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 2 large shallots chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic pressed
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 3 Tbsp white wine optional, but it'll add great depth to the flavor!
- 1 cup organic sour cream or creme fraiche
- Remove sour cream from refrigerator until ready to use.
- Melt the butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions, salt, pepper, cayenne, and onion powder and cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the shallot and garlic for 2-3 more minutes.
- Add the white wine and continue to cook, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to remove any brown bits.
- Once the mixture has thickened slightly (should only take 2-3 minutes), reduce the heat and cook the entire mixture for about 20 more minutes, stirring often, until caramelized (soft, dark brown, and with a somewhat sweet flavor).
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream until well mixed. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- If possible, remove dip from refrigerator at least 20 minutes before serving (if not, it's still great cold!).
- Garnish with sliced green onions and serve with chips or raw veggies.
Check out these other great appetizers!