Cheap and easy Chocolate Peanut Butter Larabars that taste like cookie dough, but are loaded with superfoods and antioxidants!
What if I told you you could make 12 homemade Larabars in 10 minutes, for 50% cheaper than the original, and they’ll taste better too?
In fact, you might want to go ahead and double the recipe because you’ll have to sacrifice a few of them to little hands (and big ones?) snatching them up as soon as you slice them!
Cheap & Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Larabars + Superfoods
We’re big Larabar fans at our house – we grab them for a quick breakfast, an on the go snack, or a healthy dessert.
But a while back we discovered we could make homemade Larabars that were cheaper and tasted better than the original. We love these Salted Dark Chocolate Almond and Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Larabars, but now there’s a new kid on the block!
Here’s why these Chocolate Peanut Butter Larabars + Superfoods are our new favorite!
- Magnesium – Most of us don’t get enough of this important mineral, which helps with blood sugar and blood pressure regulation, bone health, heart health, depression, and inflammation.
- Fiber – Each bar has 4 grams of fiber, around 15% of your daily needs. Fiber helps with blood sugar regulation, bowel regularity, and feeds the those probiotics we’re all trying to get in!
- Antioxidants – Raw cacao has a higher ORAC score (measure of antioxidant activity) than acai berries, goji berries, blueberries, and green tea combined?! Add that to the Perfect Food Super Green Formula powder in this recipe, and you’ve got an antioxidant powerhouse!
- Healthy fats – Peanut butter has mostly monounsaturated fats as well as disease fighting antioxidants like resveratrol, the same compound found in grapes and pomegranates
- Gluten free, dairy free, and soy free – These could also be made peanut free by substituting almond or other nut/seed butter for the peanut butter.
- These bars cost around $0.90 each (prices using organic ingredients), which is over 50% cheaper than Amazon or Whole Foods prices.
- I’m not kidding when I tell you these homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter Larabars + Superfoods taste just like cookie dough! Judging by flavor alone, they blow the name brand right out of the water! Suffice it to say, they are definitely kid approved!
Note: This post contains affiliate links. By making purchases through these links, you pay the same amount for products, but a small portion of the sale will be sent my way to help with blog expenses. Thanks!
- 2 1/4 cups Medjool dates pitted (Medjool dates are super moist - if using another variety, you may need to add a spoon or two of water to the food processor)
- 1 cup creamy natural peanut butter
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup Perfect Food Super Green Formula or other greens powder of choice - I really think you could increase this to 6-8 Tbsp if you're okay with the final product having a more greenish color!
- Chocolate chips or cacao nibs for topping optional - I like Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Morsels (gluten free, dairy free, soy free)
Place all ingredients except chocolate chips in food processor with S blade in place and pulse until mixture looks like large, moist crumbs.
Transfer to a small casserole dish lined with parchment and use spatula or clean hands to firmly press mixture until it's evenly spread across the pan.
Refrigerate until firm, then slice into bars.
For best results, store in the fridge or freezer - I place bars into individual plastic baggies, then place the bags in a gallon size zipper bag in the freezer. We just grab and go - no need for defrosting!