Healthier Cinnamon Rolls for Mother’s Day!
Mother’s Day is just four days away and today I’m sharing the perfect way to have your cinnamon rolls and eat them too!
Healthy, cinnamon-y baked oatmeal with raisins, pecans, and brown butter topping, finished off with a powdered sugar icing swirl!
“Powdered sugar at breakfast?” some of you are asking?
Let me just say, “She who makes the rules can break the rules“…especially on Mother’s Day!
And you really just need a drizzle of icing to give this healthy-ish, gluten free breakfast bowl a super indulgent twist!
It got rave reviews on it’s debut at our house last weekend, and I guarantee your Mom will LOVE it too!
Easy, Make Ahead Cinnamon Roll Baked Oatmeal
And because I know there are lots of young mamas reading this – moms like me whose kids are still in that precious handmade card and weed bouquet stage, and are too young to make you breakfast or brunch on Mother’s Day – you can prep this baked oatmeal yourself in only 10 minutes, and up to 24 hours in advance!
Then leave a sweet little note on the counter Saturday night to remind your husband to pop it in the oven and start the coffee on Sunday morning while your kids run out and pull some weeds for the vase. About 45 minutes later, you’ll be enjoying breakfast in bed!
The icing can be whipped up in advance too – just have him set it out on the counter when he puts the oatmeal into the oven.
Cinnamon Roll Baked Oatmeal with Powdered Sugar Icing
1/2 cup raisins
2 cups rolled oats (not instant - buy gluten free oats if making the GF version)
2 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp aluminum free baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 cup pecan halves and pieces, divided
2 pastured eggs
1/2 cup raw honey
2 cups raw milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
4 Tbsp pastured butter, melted (I use regular salted butter, unsalted is okay too)
2 1/4 cups organic powdered sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup half and half (could also use milk or cream)
- Place raisins in a small bowl and cover with water to plump up while prepping the oatmeal.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the oats, cinnamon, baking powder, sea salt, and half of the pecans.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, then add honey, milk and vanilla, whisking thoroughly.
- Pour into large bowl with oatmeal mixture and stir to mix.
- Pour the mixture into a 8x8 square pan. Sprinkle remaining pecans over the top, then drizzle the melted butter evenly over all.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until top is deep brown and bubbly (Don't overcook! Remove and test doneness with a spoon if needed - the baked oatmeal should be very moist, yet have some form. It will continue to set as it cools).
- While oatmeal is in the oven, whisk icing ingredients together. Drizzle over hot oatmeal (I like to reserve about half the icing for drizzling additional over each bowl when served).
The uncooked oatmeal can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours - I placed the cold dish in my oven while it was preheating to allow it to heat gradually and prevent breakage, then used cooking times listed above.
Here are a few other sweet breakfast and brunch treats to celebrate Mom!