You’d never guess these decadent Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies are gluten free, grain free, and dairy free!
For months I’ve been wanting to make a double chocolate version of my Grain Free Chocolate Chunk Cookies. And when some friends who recently welcomed a new baby requested help with grain free, dairy free dinners, I had the perfect excuse to start experimenting.
Well, here they are in all their double dark chocolate glory…and I think they *might* just be better than the original!
Note: This post contains affiliate links. By making purchases through these links, you pay the same amount for products, but a portion of the sale will be sent my way to help with blog expenses. Thanks!
Gluten Free, Grain Free, Dairy Free Cookies that Don’t Taste Like It!
I’m a big fan of cookies and other desserts made with good ole fashioned white flour (hello, Apple Pie Cookie Bites, Peach Crumble, and Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls!). But, with more and more people choosing gluten free, grain free, and dairy free diets for health reasons (including one in my own home), I’ve really enjoyed the challenge of developing recipes that meet these criteria without compromising flavor!
These Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies are the perfect example. In fact, they’re so good, I hesitated to even label them gluten free, grain free, or dairy free! You could serve them to someone who’s never eaten a grain free cookie in their life and I guarantee they’d love them!
Double Chocolate Chunk Walnut Cookies (Gluten, grain, & dairy free)
- 5 Tbsp palm shortening softened
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp granulated sugar of choice I use this organic evaporated cane juice, but coconut sugar, etc.would also work, plus more for sprinkling tops (optional)
- 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 pastured egg
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups blanched almond flour I buy this superfine almond flour!
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour I buy this coconut flour
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder I use this raw cacao powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 3 oz dark chocolate chunks I LOVE these baking bars but these Enjoy Life Semi Sweet Mega Chunks work well too
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Use a wire whisk to cream the lard/shortening, sugar, maple, egg, and vanilla until smooth and fluffy.
- Sprinkle almond flour, coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and sea salt over the top of the wet mixture. Use whisk to gently mix the dry ingredients on the surface first, then whisk all until well combined.
- Use a spatula to fold in chopped chocolate and walnuts.
- Use a mini ice cream scoop like this one to drop balls of dough onto a parchment-lined pan.
- Sprinkle the tops with additional sugar (optional) and bake for 15-18 minutes, or til surface has begun to crack and is slightly firm to the touch. Do not overbake!
- Allow to cool on pan about 10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely before serving.