If you’ve been around here very long, you know I’m a sucker for giant, fully loaded salads.
Especially if “fully loaded” includes thick-cut, pastured bacon. And, in the case of this Fall Salad with Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Potatoes, and Shallot Vinaigrette, the bacon is only the beginning!
Hearty Fall Salad with Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Potatoes, and Shallot Vinaigrette
This salad is packed full of seasonal fall flavor and texture – roasted Brussels sprouts, shallots, and potatoes, crispy bacon, juicy Bosc pears, walnuts, and a sprinkle of cheese (I used feta, but goat cheese would also be great).
Roasting the vegetables and browning the bacon does take some time, but the end result is so, so worth it. And, it’s satisfying enough to serve as a main course so you’re not dividing your time between the salad and other menu items.
I made the salad, buttered and toasted a few slices of sourdough, and called it done.
Note: This post contains affiliate links. By making purchases through these links, you pay the same amount for products, but a portion of the sale will be sent my way to help with blog expenses. Thanks!
Simple Shallot Vinaigrette
Every amazing salad has an amazing dressing, and this shallot vinaigrette is no exception.
Salad dressings are so easy to make yourself, and the store bought dressings – even the fancy ones – don’t hold a candle to the flavor!
Plus, when I make my own dressings, I know there are no additives, preservatives, or cheap vegetable oils (Have you ever tried to find a commercial salad dressing that’s not made with canola oil or vegetable oil? It’s nearly impossible.)
I use mostly extra virgin olive oil for my homemade dressings, but this Shallot Vinaigrette uses walnut oil. It was my first time buying it and I was super impressed with the light flavor!
The shallots, Dijon mustard, and apple cider vinegar give it a nice kick, and the raw honey balances it out with just enough sweetness. It’s the perfect, tangy-sweet match for this hearty salad.
Fall Salad with Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Potatoes, & Shallot Vinaigrette
Ingredients for the Salad
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts ends removed, then quartered
- 6 small red potatoes halved, then sliced thin
- 2 Tbsp pastured ghee melted
- house seasoning click here for my simple recipe
- 1 pound pastured bacon cut into 1" strips
- sea salt
- Approximately 10 ounces field greens
- 1/2 cup walnut halves and pieces
- Crumbled feta or goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place on 3 different roasting pans or rimmed baking sheets: quartered Brussels sprouts, sliced potatoes, and bacon strips.
- Use clean hands to "massage" 1 Tbsp of melted ghee into the Brussels sprouts, and the other 1 Tbsp into the sliced potatoes, then spread both out into a single layer on their pans. Sprinkle all generously with house seasoning.
- Spread the bacon strips evenly across their pan. Sprinkle generously with sea salt.
- Roast all three pans in the oven for 20-30 minutes, turning mid-way through if possible, and removing when the desired doneness is achieved (we like ours pretty brown!).
- While the veggies and bacon roast, mix up the dressing (Whisk all ingredients except oil together, then drizzle the oil in slowly while whisking continuously).
- When veggies and bacon come out of the oven, sprinkle them again with house seasoning and sea salt.
- To serve, place the field greens in a serving bowl, sprinkle the roasted veggies and bacon evenly over all, then add walnuts and cheese, and drizzle with dressing.
- Makes 4 large dinner salads or 8 side salads.
2. Note that darker roasting pans will cook much faster than lighter baking sheets (I used a combination of both). Keep a close eye on them as they roast to prevent burning.