When I recently made one of our family favorite chicken recipes – Middle Eastern Lemon Feta Chicken – I decided to serve it over a bed of cauliflower “rice” instead of the typical basmati, and we loved it!
Cauliflower rice is a cinch to prepare, and is such a great option for the swaths of people following gluten free or grain free diets. I’m not really in either of those camps, but I definitely love heaping a pile of “rice” on my plate and knowing it’s uber-healthy! The texture is surprisingly similar to “real” rice too!
This buttery Middle Eastern Cauliflower Rice recipe is a perfect compliment to my Middle Eastern Feta Chicken.
- 1 head cauliflower
- 4 Tbsp pastured butter or ghee
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 1/2 Tbsp house seasoning 4:1:1 ratio of sea salt:black pepper:garlic powder
- 1 tsp fenugreek
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach roughly chopped
- Melt the butter/ghee in a large pot over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook, stirring often until onion is translucent.
- Meanwhile, remove large stalk from cauliflower and cut into florets just small enough to feed through the food processor chute.
- Place 5 or so pieces of cauliflower into the food processor with the chopping blade in place. Pulse until cauliflower appears like large crumbles, uniform in size (don't overdo it - if too small, the cauliflower "grains" will turn to mush).
- Set pulsed cauliflower aside and repeat in batches until the entire head has been "riced."
- Once garlic and onions are cooked, turn heat to low and add 1 teaspoon or so of the dry spice mixture.*
- Add the cauliflower rice, frozen peas and spinach and stir gently to combine. Continue on low heat, stirring continuously, until peas and spinach are cooked.
* Dry spice amounts listed above are enough for 1 batch of this recipe, plus 1 batch of Middle Eastern Lemon Feta Chicken. If not preparing the chicken, just reserve for another use.
Don’t miss this other great cauliflower rice recipe: Riced Cauliflower and Summer Vegetable Salad.
Have you tried Cauliflower Rice?
If you enjoyed this post, please share in on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest!
Subscribe to have the latest post emailed to you!