Maca and collagen powder add a high protein, gut healthy twist to this creamy pumpkin pie superfood smoothie, making it a great healthy breakfast for fall!
We’re still topping out around 90 degrees here in Houston, but the grocery stores are selling pumpkins, so I’m pretty sure fall is in the air somewhere! 😀
And that means it’s officially time to start adding pumpkin to evvverythiiinnnng, including your morning smoothie!
Pumpkin Pie Superfood Smoothie with Maca + Collagen
What’s so great about this fall inspired smoothie?
- Pumpkin Pie – need I say more?
- High Protein – Between the milk and collagen, each serving has 16 grams of protein to help stabilize blood sugar and keep you satisfied for longer.
- Gut Healthy – Most of you know I’m a tad bit obsessed with hydrolyzed collagen powder – I use in in this healthy homemade chocolate milk, this DIY protein powder + greens, and this 5-minute homemade hot chocolate mix…not to mention stirring it into my coffee every morning. The reason is this – it’s the easiest way I’ve found to get a daily dose of amino acids specifically beneficial for joints, skin, nails, and hair, and gut health, without the added sugars, oils, and flavorings that are in most protein powders.
- Naturally Sweetened – Dates give this pumpkin pie smoothie just a hint of natural sweetness. A little raw honey can also be added for those with a sweet tooth.
- Stress Reducing – There’s no supplement that will turn stress off like a light switch (although improving your sleep might!), but maca – a root vegetable native to Peru known as an “adaptogen” – can have a soothing effect on the adrenals and the entire HPA-axis, which can help us better adapt and respond to stress. Bottom line: If you’re exhausted all the time or have symptoms of adrenal fatigue/HPA-axis dysfunction, a daily dose of maca may help! Learn more about maca and get links to scientific journal articles here.
Note: Use of maca during pregnancy is contraversial, although Peruvians have done it for centuries. If you’re pregnant or have other hormone-related concerns, consult with your practitioner.
- Pumpkin Pie – did I say that already?
- 1 1/2 cups milk I use raw
- 1/4 cup organic pumpkin puree
- 4 Medjool dates pitted
- 1/4 cup hydrolyzed collagen powder non-gel type
- 2 Tbsp maca powder
- 1/8 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/8-1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice to taste
- raw honey to taste optional
- 2 large handfuls ice
- http://amzn.to/2xF4cx7Place all ingredients except ice in blender and blend first on low speed, then on high until thick and creamy. Add ice and blend on high for a few more seconds.
This creamy smoothie has a very mild natural sweetness - if you have a sweet tooth, you may want to add the honey!