My top 3 shortcuts for making beef bone broth at home, plus a video recipe tutorial!
Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you probably know that bone broth is one of the hottest healthy food trends of late, touted for glutamine and other gut healing benefits.* Bone broth – like butter, probiotic rich fermented vegetables, and kombucha – may be trendy, but is definitely not new.
For centuries, cultures around the world have made broth to extract every bit of nutrition possible from their leftover animal bones. And for good reason – we now know that slow simmered bone broths are loaded with minerals and amino acids that far exceed the amounts found in meat stocks.
* Note: Those with significant damage to their gut flora may benefit from introducing meat stocks first, then gradually advancing to bone broths. Read more about nutritional differences and when to use stock vs. broth here.
I’ve talked before about my super easy method for making homemade chicken broth, and today I’m sharing my top 3 shortcuts for making beef bone broth!
3 Shortcuts for Making Beef Bone Broth
1. Slow Cooker
Traditionally, bone broth is simmered over the stove. But, if you’re a fan of set it and forget it, transfer your roasted beef bones to the slow cooker instead, as shown in the video below. Add remaining ingredients and cook on low for 12-72 hours. (The longer it’s simmered, the higher the nutrient content).
Note: This post contains affiliate links. By making purchases through these links, you pay the same amount for products, but a portion of the sale will be sent my way to help with blog expenses. Thanks!
2. Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker
If you’re pressed for time, you can make bone broth in an Instant Pot or other pressure cooker. Check out this detailed tutorial for making beef bone broth in around 3 hours.
3. Buy it!
I make as much of my family’s food from scratch as I possibly can. But I’m always on the lookout for products I can buy to save time without sacrificing quality. As soon as I discovered Kettle & Fire bone broth, I knew it was a shortcut I needed in my kitchen!
Why buy Kettle & Fire bone broth:
• 100% organic ingredients, including bones from organic, pasture-raised and grass-fed cattle
• No preservatives
• Small, shelf stable packages (2 cups each) so there’s no waste!
• Ships nationwide within the United States
• Free shipping with orders of 6 containers or more
• 25% off all orders scheduled for monthly delivery!
• Extra 15% off all first time orders for Back To The Book Nutrition readers – use the code BOOKNUTRITION15 at checkout. Get yours here!
Here area a few favorite recipes using bone broth: