Remember the roasted cauliflower rice from Monday?
Today it’s teaming up with roasted vegetables, wild shrimp, cilantro, and lime in a rice bowl recipe that’ll win over even the most devoted white rice fan!
Note: This post contains affiliate links. By making purchases through these links, you pay the same amount for products, but a portion of the sale will be sent my way to help with blog expenses. Thanks!
Cauliflower Rice Bowl – a Healthy Alternative to White Rice
First off, I’m not opposed to white rice. I use it a few times a year for certain recipes that just need that classic white rice taste and texture. I also like that it has a lower arsenic content than most brown rices (this brand of brown rice has been shown to have one of the lowest arsenic contents).
But I try to stick to minimally refined foods when I can so we get as much of the nutritional goodness that God put into foods as we can.
One way to do that is subbing cauliflower that has been shredded in the food processor in place of regular rice. This recipe is almost entirely made up of fresh vegetables!
What mom wouldn’t love to see her kids scarf that down??
**Tip: If you’re new to cauliflower rice, or you’re serving this to grain lovers, check out my Top 5 Tips in Monday’s post. My husband says #5 is the real key to success – I agree, but #3 is a pretty close behind it!**
Shrimp and Cauliflower Rice Bowl with Cilantro & Lime
I admit that, at first, I was a little hesitant to serve a grain free dinner to my rice and grain-loving family. But I remembered how much we enjoy my Middle Eastern Cauliflower Rice with Lemon Feta Chicken, and I decided to go for it.
Good thing I did! When four clean bowls come back to the kitchen at the end of dinner, it’s a keeper!
The roasted flavor of the cauliflower rice and chopped veggies in this simple one dish meal work perfectly together, and the fresh cilantro and honey lime sauce (aka: my homemade honey lime vinaigrette) add a touch of Tex Mex flare. I love the look and flavor of the wild shrimp piled on top, but it would also be great with chicken!
- 4-6 cups riced cauliflower raw ( Click here for method)
- 1 each: red yellow, orange bell pepper, chopped
- kernals from two ears sweet corn
- 1 small yellow squash chopped
- 1/2 cup pastured ghee melted
- 1/2 tsp house seasoning click for recipe
- sea salt
- 1 pound large wild shrimp peeled and deveined (I leave the tails on, but remove them if you prefer)
- Honey Lime Dressing click for recipe
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Divide riced cauliflower between two baking pans and drizzle with 4 Tbsp ghee (2 Tbsp per pan). Use clean hands to massage until evenly coated. Season generously with sea salt.
- Place chopped veggies on another baking sheet or roasting pan and drizzle with 3 Tbsp ghee, massaging to coat. Sprinkle house seasoning evenly over all.
- Place all three pans in oven.
- After 30 minutes, cauliflower rice should be done. Remove from oven, leaving vegetables in for another 15 minutes or so to finish roasting.
- Toss shrimp with remaining 1 Tbsp melted ghee, then sprinkle with sea salt. Spread on a roasting pan or baking sheet and place into the hot oven with the vegetables. Roast for 10-15 minutes or until done (if using a darker roasting pan, check them sooner).
- Remove from oven, along with the roasted veggies.
- Combine roasted cauliflower rice and roasted vegetables and divide among four bowls.
- Arrange roasted shrimp on top of each bowl
- Add a drizzle of honey lime dressing over each (I use about half the batch of dressing and reserve the rest for salads).
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and lime wedges and serve.
- (Serves 4)
**Time Saving Tip: I bought ready-to-cook wild shrimp from Trader Joe's that had already been peeled and deveined (Click here to learn what other healthy convenience foods I buy from Trader Joe's!)**
Check out these related recipes!