¡Hoy es Cinco de Mayo!
(Translation: “Let’s eat some Tex Mex!”)
I took a few minutes this morning to review the history of Cinco De Mayo, and was impressed by the resilience of the underestimated and outnumbered Mexican army against the French on May 5, 1862. The unexpected victory became a rallying cry for the entire country, and is still celebrated each year with festivals, music, dancing, and – of course – great food. Ole! (queue Mariachi band in the background, just for fun?)
On Friday I shared a new recipe for soft, homemade Healthy Whole Wheat and Chia Tortillas. Today I’m sharing one of my favorite ways to put them to good use – Shrimp Tacos with Mango, Cilantro & Lime.
Each part of this meal can be prepped ahead of time, then quickly assembled just before eating, or served taco bar style – perfect for our current dinner-must-be-easy mode due to afternoon swim team practice (Delicious Crock Pot Ribs, anyone?).
Here in Texas, my local grocer makes fresh guacamole and pico de gallo daily. I grabbed container of each, and a bag of pre-shredded cabbage, so cooking the shrimp, reheating my tortillas (get perfectly soft reheated tortillas with this kitchen tip), and giving a quick chop to the mango and fresh cilantro was really all it took.
The shrimp have a little kick to them, but the cayenne can be omitted if you don’t like the heat. Just don’t cut back on the mango, cilantro or lime…¡Delicioso! 😉
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1 Tbsp fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- zest of 1 lime
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 lbs large wild shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- juice of 1/2-1 lime to taste
- 1 batch 12 of our Healthy Whole Wheat & Chia Tortillas
- 1 pkg pre-shredded green and purple cabbage
- 12-16 oz fresh guacamole
- 8 oz sour cream
- 6 oz pico de gallo
- 1 large ripe mango, peeled and chopped
- fresh cilantro chopped
- Melt butter in a large skillet, then add garlic, cilantro, lime zest, salt and pepper and saute for about a minute.
- Add shrimp and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until done.
- Squeeze fresh lime juice over all, and season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Layer listed ingredients in each tortilla as desired. I added guacamole and sour cream first, then the cabbages, pico de gallo, mango, shrimp and cilantro.
1. The shrimp in this recipe could easily be replaced with sliced or cubed chicken breasts.
2. To make gluten free, use corn tortillas.
3. To make grain free, build a taco bowl with extra cabbage and desired amounts of all other ingredients except tortillas.