The best gluten free peanut butter cookies – super soft with the perfect combo of salty and sweet! (Dairy free, refined sugar free)
Sometimes you just need a cookie.
And sometimes you want (or need) that cookie to be gluten free, grain free, dairy free, and refined sugar free…but you still want it to taste like a “real” cookie.
I’m a big believer in making food that tastes great – even when it’s free of major allergens and processed sugar. Take my grain free chocolate chunk cookies that taste just like the real thing for example – definitely one of the best allergy friendly cookies I’ve ever tasted, and multiple readers have said the same thing!
But today we’re talking peanut butter…So, without further adieu, I give you the best gluten free peanut butter cookies you’ve ever had!
Super Soft Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies
These are as easy to make as they are easy to eat. Even those who embrace all the gluten and sugar in typical peanut butter cookies will love them. I’m proof of that. 😉
So here’s the health/allergy friendly run down:
- Gluten free
- Grain free (I used nut flours instead of gluten free flour mix)
- Dairy free
- Refined sugar free (I used maple + honey instead, which come out to around 5 grams of natural sugar per cookie)
- Peanut free if you make them with almond butter…but then they’d be super soft almond butter cookies, obv.
Despite all that’s not in these cookies, they’re full of flavor and completely irresistible. We’ve been through three batches in the past 2 weeks, all under the guise of “recipe testing”, because I’m just that committed to going to any length to get recipes right before sharing them with you! Complete selfless, I assure you. 😉
We like our cookies super soft, but feel free to increase the coconut flour a bit if you like more dense, chewy peanut butter cookies.
- 1 cup natural peanut butter
- 3.5 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 3.5 Tbsp raw honey
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp almond flour
- 1 Tbsp coconut flour can increase to 2-3 Tbsp for a more dense, chewy cookie
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Kosher salt for sprinkling optional
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the first five ingredients together (PB through vanilla).
- Sprinkle 4 dry ingredients (minus the kosher salt) on top of the wet mixture. Use wooden spoon to gently mix together the dry ingredients, then fold into wet until well combined. Mixture will be very wet.
- Use clean hands to roll dough into balls using very fast motions (if too sticky, wet fingers slightly), then divide between two cookie sheets.
- Use a fork to press each dough ball down in two directions for the classic peanut butter cookie cross hatch. Sprinkle with kosher salt if desired.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, turning halfway through. Cookies will have puffed slightly, be soft to the touch, and have cracks on the surface. Do not overbake!