Last week, we joined some dear friends for a week-long waterpark vacation. I’m not sure who had more fun – the kids riding tube shoots for the first time, or their parents reliving childhood memories and relishing the sight of their own children soaking up the fun!
In addition to loads of water, extra rest, and late night board games, our vaca was stocked with plenty of sweets – and I do mean plenty. It was awesome.
Now that we’re back home, I’m actually craving a return to fresh, healthy food. I find that the more I fill my daily diet with real, whole foods, the more I actually enjoy getting back on track after holidays and vacations. I love that.
So this week, it’s salads of all kinds at our house. And today I’m sharing a new favorite with you – Tomato, Bacon, and Corn Salad.
Tomato, Bacon, and Corn Salad
This salad is like a summer fireworks celebration on a plate, featuring an array of seasonal produce – juicy homegrown tomatoes, ripe avocado, and fresh sweet corn, plus asparagus tips, red onion, crumbled bacon, fresh basil, and a homemade raspberry balsamic vinaigrette.
How can an ingredient list that good go wrong??
I’ll tell you – It can’t. It can only go right – so, so right.
- 1 large handful baby spinach leaves roughly chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes - homegrown if available sliced and sprinkled with sea salt
- 1/2 cup fresh sweet corn kernels about 1 ear
- Tips from 8-10 asparagus spears
- 1/2 ripe avocado peeled and sliced or cut into chunks
- 1/8 of a small red onion thinly sliced
- 4 slices pastured bacon cooked and crumbled
- 4 large leaves basil sliced into ribbons
- Crumbled feta or blue cheese optional, not pictured
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tsp raspberry vinegar
- 1/2 Tbsp raw honey
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of sea salt
Place spinach on plate or in bowl.
Slice tomatoes and sprinkle with sea salt. Arrange on top of spinach.
Sprinkle corn, asparagus, avocado, onion, bacon and basil on top of tomatoes.
If desired, add crumbled feta or blue cheese and additional salt and pepper.
Use a whisk to combine the vinegars and honey in a mixing bowl. Very gradually drizzle in the oil, whisking constantly, to form an emulsion. Season with a pinch of salt, or more to your taste.
Drizzle dressing over the prepared salad and serve immediately.
Adapted from In Sock Monkey Slippers