This is, hands down, the BEST gluten free, grain free chocolate chip cookie I’ve ever had – perfectly textured and bursting with dark chocolate chunks and pecans, they really do taste just like the real thing!
If you’ve been reading the blog for a while now, you know my family is on the GAPS intro diet in an effort to clear up immune related symptoms in my youngest. He’s showing signs of improvement, so we’re sticking to the program for him…but, if you follow me on Instagram, you know my husband and I have gotten into a fun little routine of testing out a new grain free, gluten free cookie recipe each weekend.
Some recipes are better than others.
But this one?
Absolutely, the best grain free cookie I’ve ever had!
They’re. SO. GOOD.
You could take them to a party or serve them to your average cookie-loving dinner guests and they literally wouldn’t know the difference! In fact, I did take them to our family’s Easter gathering yesterday and no one suspected a thing until I told them there was no wheat flour in the recipe. Every last one cookie was gone by the end of the party, so I’d say they were a success!
Grain Free Chocolate Chunk Cookies that Taste Just Like the Real Thing
To give credit where credit is due, this recipe is an adaptation of a great grain free chocolate chip cookie recipe by Danielle Walker of Against All Grain. After hearing multiple people rave about the Real Deal Chocolate Chip Cookies, I tried them out for our weekend cookie date a few weeks ago. And they were good – very good, in fact.
But, I have a hard time leaving a recipe alone if I think it could be even a little bit better. I feel a little strange saying this, but I’ve improved on a cookie recipe developed by one of (if not THE) top grain free bloggers out there! *squeals, claps, and bobs up and down with delight*
I added a bit more moisture (butter + sugar) to the batter, and added pecan pieces and more dark chocolate…ooh, and a sprinkle of sugar on the surface. And, voila! Gluten free, grain free chocolate chunk cookies that taste just like the real thing!
Note: This post contains affiliate links. By making purchases through these links, you pay the same amount for products, but a portion of the sale will be sent my way to help with blog expenses. Thanks!
- 5 Tbsp pastured unsalted butter, softened (for dairy free, use palm shortening or
- leaf lard)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar of choice ( I use this organic evaporated cane juice, but coconut sugar, etc.would also work), plus more for sprinkling tops (optional)
- 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 large pastured egg
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups blanched almond flour (I buy this superfine almond flour!)
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour (I buy this coconut flour)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3 oz dark chocolate, roughly chopped (I LOVE these baking bars but these Enjoy Life Semi Sweet Mega Chunks work well too)
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Use a wire whisk to cream the butter, sugar, maple, egg, and vanilla until smooth and fluffy.
- Sprinkle almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and sea salt over the top of the wet mixture. Use whisk to gently mix the dry ingredients on the surface first, then whisk all until well combined.
- Use a spatula to fold in chopped chocolate and pecans.
- Use a mini ice cream scoop like this one to drop balls of dough onto a parchment-lined pan.
- Sprinkle the tops with additional sugar (optional) and bake for 15-18 minutes, or til surface has lightly browned.
- Allow to cool on pan about 10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely before serving.
Here are a few other cookie recipes you’ll love!