This is the absolute BEST beef roast I’ve ever had! A healthy take on the famous slow cooker Mississippi Roast, this easy recipe has only four real food ingredients – no dried gravy mixes or packaged seasonings.
So apparently there’s this thing called the Mississippi Roast.
It’s a Sunday dinner recipe from a church cookbook in Mississippi that was shared online and has gone completely viral. New York Times, Good Morning America, the whole nine.
I love a good comfort food recipe, and I really love the ones I can make in the Crock Pot. But the original Mississippi Roast recipe calls for packets of Au Jus gravy mix and Ranch seasoning mix, which are loaded with unhealthy ingredients like corn syrup, MSG, and partially hydrogenated oils. No thanks.
So I set out to make a healthier, real food version…and it’s AMAZING!
Note: This post contains affiliate links. By making purchases through these links, you pay the same amount for products, but a portion of the sale will be sent my way to help with blog expenses. Thanks!
Healthy Slow Cooker Beef Roast
I’ve substituted a few cleaner, whole food ingredients in my healthier pot roast recipe to preserve all that amazing Mississippi Roast flavor without all the processed junk.
Original Mississippi Roast Ingredients:
Beef chuck roast
Au Jus gravy mix
Ingredients: Salt, Modified Food Starch, Lactose (Milk), Hydrolyzed Protein (Wheat, Soy, Corn), Corn Syrup Solids, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Onion Powder, Caramel Color, Natural Flavors (Beef And Pork), Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Cottonseed And Soybean), Citric Acid, Molasses Powder, Disodium Guanylate, Disodium Inosinate.
Ranch seasoning mix
Ingredients: Salt, Monosodium Glutamate, Dried Garlic, Modified Food Starch, Dried Onion, Maltodextrin, Spices, Less than 2% of: Guar Gum, Buttermilk, Calcium Stearate, Natural Flavor (soy).
Ingredients: Peppers, Water, Distilled Vinegar, Salt, FD&C Yellow No. 5, Sodium Bisulfite Added as a Color Stabilizer.
My Healthy Slow Cooker Beef Roast Ingredients:
Beef chuck roast (from a local farmer if you can)
Homemade Ranch seasoning (onion salt, season salt, parsley, dill)
- 3-4 pound chuck roast (from a local farmer if possible)
- 6 1/2 tsp Homemade Ranch seasoning blend (double batch of my easy dry mix - click here for the recipe)
- 6 Tbsp pastured butter, divided
- 1 cup homemade beef stock/broth (can substitute vegetable or chicken broth, or water)
- 5 Pepperoncini peppers
- 3-4 pounds Russet potatoes, washed and chopped into large cubes
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- Fresh or dried parsley for garnish
- Heat 2 Tbsp butter over medium high heat in a saute pan.
- Rub ranch seasoning into all sides of the roast. When butter begins to bubble, add the roast to the pan. Brown on both sides.*
- Transfer the browned roast to the slow cooker. Pour beef stock into the saute pan and stir with a wooden spoon to get all those delicious brown bits. Pour the stock over the roast in the slow cooker.
- Place remaining 4 Tbsp butter on top of the roast.
- If using Pepperoncini peppers, place them around the roast in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hrs (or high for 2 hrs, then on low for 4 hrs).
- If using potatoes and carrots, add them during the last 4 hours of cooking.
- To serve, ladle the juices over the roast and sprinkle with parsley.
- Store leftovers in the fridge - makes great roast sandwiches the next day!
- Serves 8
- * If you don't have time to brown the roast first, just season it and place it directly into the slow cooker with all 6 Tbsp butter and the stock/broth. You may need to add an extra hour to the cook time.
Check out these other favorite comfort food recipes!