This superfood salad is loaded with antioxidants, fiber, and flavor, and the chicken breast and blue cheese make it hearty enough to qualify as a legit, 30 minute dinner!
If you’re like me, you love a big bowl of salad with all kinds of color, texture, and flavor.
If that’s you, be sure to check out this Fig and Feta Salad with Roasted Chickpeas and Walnuts, this Brussels Sprouts Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing, and this Bacon Avocado, and Blue Cheese Salad.
But back to today’s recipe.
Summer Superfood Salad with Blue Cheese and Chicken – a healthy, 30 minute meal!
Beyond how gorgeous and summery this salad is, I love that it packs a boat load of antioxidants, fiber, and disease-fighting phytochemicals – here are just a few of them:
- Vitamin C
How’s that for superfood?! …and you know what makes it even better?
When you add chicken and blue cheese to make it hearty enough to serve as a 30 minute one dish meal! P.S. The saturated fat, protein, and vitamins A and K2 qualify these as superfoods in my book, too! 😉
I admit, I would have loved some nice, big homemade sourdough croutons sprinkled on top, but I just didn’t have the time to make them…maybe next time.
For the Salad:
- 1 Tbsp heat stable fat pastured tallow, ghee, etc.
- 4 split breasts from pasture raised chicken deboned (skin on or off is up to you)
- Redmond season salt or other all purpose seasoning
- 3 ears corn
- Butter optional
- sea salt
- 1 head curly lettuce green leaf or red leaf work well
- 2 bunch curly kale stems removed and very finely chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper chopped
- 1 large cucumber quartered and chopped
- 1 pt grape tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 ripe peach pitted and sliced
- 4 oz crumbled blue cheese
For the Dressing:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (or 1/2 cup milk + 1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp ground mustard
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 oz blue cheese crumbles (if larger crumbles, break them smaller so they incorporate fully into the dressing!)
For the Salad:
- Use a meat mallet to pound the chicken to 1/4" thickness for faster cooking. You can cut each breast into 2-3 pieces to make cooking even quicker. Sprinkle both sides generously with season salt.
- Melt tallow/ghee over medium high heat in a skillet. Brown chicken on both sides and cooked through - should take 3-5 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to plate and leave the drippings in the pan.
- In the same pan chicken was cooked in, heat the 3 ears of corn on medium heat, turning occasionally for even heating - add additional butter or ghee to the pan if needed. Once corn is lightly browned on all sides, transfer to plate and season with sea salt.
- While the chicken and corn are cooking, begin chopping lettuce and kale and placing in large salad bowl.
- Add remaining toppings (bell pepper through blue cheese) to salad.
- Once corn has cooled a bit, remove kernals by standing each ear upright and slicing downward along all sides. Discard the cobb and add the kernals to the salad.
- Slice the chicken and place on top of salad, then drizzle with blue cheese dressing and serve!
For the Dressing:
- Mix all ingredients except blue cheese together using a whisk. Stir in blue cheese and serve.
I love this salad, so much fresh flavors and the sharpness from the blue cheese is perfect.
BLue cheese is such a great addition to a salad and I love this dressing so I am printing this recipe for later use!
This sounds like a perfect summer in a bowl. The salad with chicken and blue cheese with whole lots of vegetables sounds delicious.
This is such a great salad recipe! So many wonderful flavors and the the blue cheese and chicken really make it taste fabulous.
We really need to eat more salad in this house and this looks very tasty!
I love how much summer produce you’ve packed into this salad! Especially a fan of the peaches and blueberries – yum!
Such a colourful and filling summer salad. All those phytochemicals and rainbow makes it more amazing to try.
This salad has all my favorite summer flavors! Especially love the addition of corn and peach- so good!
So many great flavors going on here! I love the addition of fresh peaches!
Love the gorgeous presentation! All that lovely colors make me think I am eating all my required nutrients for the day! So tasty and filling!