This superfood salad is loaded with antioxidants, fiber, and flavor, and the chicken breast and blue cheese make it hearty enough to qualify as a legit, 30 minute dinner!
If you’re like me, you love a big bowl of salad with all kinds of color, texture, and flavor.
If that’s you, be sure to check out this Fig and Feta Salad with Roasted Chickpeas and Walnuts, this Brussels Sprouts Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing, and this Bacon Avocado, and Blue Cheese Salad.
But back to today’s recipe.
Summer Superfood Salad with Blue Cheese and Chicken – a healthy, 30 minute meal!
Beyond how gorgeous and summery this salad is, I love that it packs a boat load of antioxidants, fiber, and disease-fighting phytochemicals – here are just a few of them:
- Vitamin C
How’s that for superfood?! …and you know what makes it even better?
When you add chicken and blue cheese to make it hearty enough to serve as a 30 minute one dish meal! P.S. The saturated fat, protein, and vitamins A and K2 qualify these as superfoods in my book, too! 😉
I admit, I would have loved some nice, big homemade sourdough croutons sprinkled on top, but I just didn’t have the time to make them…maybe next time.
- 1 Tbsp heat stable fat pastured tallow, ghee, etc.
- 2 split breasts from pasture raised chicken deboned (skin on or off is up to you)
- Redmond season salt or other all purpose seasoning
- 3 ears corn
- Butter optional
- sea salt
- 1 head curly lettuce green leaf or red leaf work well
- 2 bunch curly kale stems removed and very finely chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper chopped
- 1 large cucumber quartered and chopped
- 1 pt grape tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 ripe peach pitted and sliced
- 4 oz crumbled blue cheese
- 1 recipe Best Blue Cheese Dressing
- Use a meat mallet to pound the chicken to 1/4" thickness for faster cooking. You can cut each breast into 2-3 pieces to make cooking even quicker. Sprinkle both sides generously with season salt.
- Melt tallow/ghee over medium high heat in a skillet. Brown chicken on both sides and cooked through - should take 3-5 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to plate and leave the drippings in the pan.
- In the same pan chicken was cooked in, heat the 3 ears of corn on medium heat, turning occasionally for even heating - add additional butter or ghee to the pan if needed. Once corn is lightly browned on all sides, transfer to plate and season with sea salt.
- While the chicken and corn are cooking, begin chopping lettuce and kale and placing in large salad bowl.
- Add remaining toppings (bell pepper through blue cheese) to salad.
- Once corn has cooled a bit, remove kernals by standing each ear upright and slicing downward along all sides. Discard the cobb and add the kernals to the salad.
- Slice the chicken and place on top of salad, then drizzle with blue cheese dressing and serve!
Cooking the corn is optional. I like the added flavor of the seared corn, but raw corn adds a nice texture as well!
Bonus points points for adding homemade croutons - I just didn't have the time to prep any before taking the picture.