This Healthy Chocolate Milk is the ultimate way to get your chocolate fix and serve up a healthy treat to your family without refined sugar, gums, or other unwanted additives. It takes just 2 minutes to whip up, can be made ahead, is antioxidant rich, and has collagen for extra protein and gut health! Use cow’s milk or your favorite dairy free alternative. Mom and kid-approved!
Is Chocolate Milk Good for You?
Most store-bought chocolate milk drinks or chocolate milk powders are definitely not good for you.
They’re laden with refined sugars, fillers like carageenan, and added flavors. Who wants to give their kid a glass of that stuff?
Especially when you could make a healthier version that tastes just as good in only 2 minutes!
Note: This post contains affiliate links. By making purchases through these links, you pay the same amount for products, but a small portion of the sale will be sent my way to help support the mission of Back To The Book Nutrition. Thank you!
Why is it Healthy?
- Whole milk – for healthy fats, calcium, and protein (We use raw milk from a local farm – if you’re not into that, use organic or your favorite dairy free milk)
- Raw cacao – antioxidants, fiber, and magnesium
- Collagen hydrolysate – for protein, as well as skin, joint, and gut health
- Pure maple syrup – natural sweetness (honey would also work)
How to Make Healthy Chocolate Milk Step By Step
- Add all ingredients into a blender and blitz on high until thoroughly combined.
- Pour into serving glasses or store in the fridge.
No Blender? No Problem
Here area couple of other easy ways to make this healthy homemade chocolate milk:
- Immersion blender method – Place all ingredients in a 32 oz mason jar (you may need to do this in 2 half-batches). Lower the immersion blender to to the bottom of the mixture, then blend, moving the wand up and down as needed to make sure the mixture is well mixed.
- Shake method – Place all ingredients in a 32 oz mason jar, secure the lid and shake vigorously (again you will probably have to do this in 2, half-batches).
How to Make Thick Chocolate Milk
If you’re looking for a healthy way to thicken your chocolate milk to make it more creamy, indulgent and dessert-like then it’s super easy.
Add a few dates or a couple bananas into the mix and your chocolate milk will be instantly thicker.
Top Tip: Depending on how ripe the dates/bananas are, you may not need the maple syrup so you can add it to taste.
If you looking for an even thicker milkshake consistency, check out my Chocolate Protein Shake for Healthy Skin!
Top Tips for Making Healthy Chocolate Milk
- For a dairy free version, just substitute almond milk, coconut milk, or another dairy free milk for the cow’s milk
- Make sure to use raw cacoa without any added sugar or milk powder
- Collagen hydrolysate gives this chocolate milk a great nutrition boost but, if you don’t have any, you can leave it out
- Add a few dates or a couple ripe bananas for a thicker texture
- You can also try adding a 1-2 frozen bananas for an ice cream like texture. It’s a great way to make healthy desserts but you’ll need help from a high-speed blender or food processor.
More Delicious Healthy Drinks You Might Like:
- Chocolate Protein Shake for Healthy Skin
- Healthy Homemade Hot Chocolate (mix)
- Pumpkin Spice Milk
- Orange Pineapple Green Smoothie
- Creamy Strawberry Beet Smoothie
This Healthy Chocolate Milk is the ultimate way to get your chocolate fix and serve up a healthy treat to your family without refined sugar, gums, or other unwanted additives. It takes just 2 minutes to whip up, can be made ahead, is antioxidant rich, and has collagen for extra protein and gut health! Use cow's milk or your favorite dairy free alternative. Mom and kid-approved!
- 4 tbsp raw cacoa
- 4 tbsp collagen
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 32 oz whole milk
Put all ingredients in a blender and blitz until thoroughly combined, serve in glasses or store in the fridge for later.
Add all ingredients to a large mason jar (you might need to do this in 2 batches) and shake vigorously until combined.