I’m on an energy bar kick lately because, summer snacks should be simple.
And make ahead.
But should taste like dessert.
As soon as I saw how easy it was to make my own homemade Salted Dark Chocolate Almond Larabars, I was hooked.
Now I’m whipping up new flavors left and right. And, so far, our favorites are these Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Larabars.
They taste like cookie dough but are made with just a few healthy ingredients!
They’re gluten free, grain free, and dairy free, and could easily be made peanut free by substituting almond butter.
Plus, they’re about 40% cheaper than the original!
These are the ultimate easy summer breakfast or pool snack.
I’ll go ahead and admit, my kids would rather buy a Drumstick from the concession stand at the pool than eat an apple or celery stick. But, if I bring a few homemade Larabars, it’s a cinch to win them over!
And you’d better believe these will be making appearing in lunch boxes when back to school time comes too!
Gluten free, grain free, and dairy free, and could easily be made peanut free by substituting almond butter.
- 2 cups Medjool dates pitted* (buy Medjool Dates here)
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4-1/3 cup Mini chocolate chips (I buy these Enjoy Life chips since they're gluten,dairy, and soy free)
- Place dates, peanut butter, and vanilla in a food processor with the S blade in place.
- Pulse until mixture resembles large moist crumbs.
- Pour mixture into a small casserole dish lined with parchment. Use clean hands to spread mixture evenly across pan, pressing down firmly. It's alright if it doesn't cover the entire pan, just press them out to the desired thickness.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly across surface, pressing gently to keep them in place.
- Refrigerate until firm, then slice into bars with a sharp knife.
* Medjool dates are super moist - if substituting another type of date, you may need to add a spoon or two of water to the food processor.
Check out these other healthy snack ideas!